Peaches and tomatoes? Oh my! This unexpected combination is a heavenly surprise!
Last week in the Nourish Wellness Family Medicine office, one of my patients and I were sharing notes about gardens and summer cooking adventures. Jenny described a late summer salad she had made the week prior for a gathering of friends. When I heard her description, I knew I had to give it a try! Peaches and tomatoes? Who would have thought?! My family tried the recipe during our Labor Day lake weekend, and the results were astounding!
This recipe is simple and very fruit forward, so finding the freshest produce you can is a must. These tomatoes were harvested from our home gardens, and the peaches from a local farmers’ market.
You’ll need one tomato and half a peach for each salad. Half of a large red onion will be enough for as many servings as you need.
Rinse your fruit. Slice the peaches and tomatoes into thin wedges. Likewise, slice the red onion into very thin slivers.
Assemble your salad by layering tomato and peach and garnishing with red onion. Drizzle with raspberry or pomegranate infused balsamic vinegar and serve immediately! Prepare to be blown away by the sensation of summer juiciness!
Jenny’s Peach and Tomato Salad
- 4 garden fresh organic heirloom tomatoes medium size is best
- 2 ripe organic peaches should give just very slightly when the flesh is pressed
- 1/2 red onion
- infused balsamic vinegar pomegranate or raspberry
- Rinse your fruit.
- Slice peaches and tomatoes into thin wedgesSlice red onion into thin ribbons.
- Assemble the salad by alternating peach and tomato wedges. Garnish with red onion ribbons. Drizzle with infused balsamic vinegar. Enjoy immediately!