Quinoa Primavera: Protein rich alternative to pasta night
Looking for a healthier twist on the week night spaghetti grind? Know that all that pasta is adding girth to the waistline but need a quick and easy weekday meal to satisfy your “Italian” fix? Check and Check! Ask and you shall receive! A twist on the classic Italian primavera, this version is plant strong and subs protein rich quinoa for that pasta that keeps covering up your six-pack :). Easy to prepare on a busy after work evening, and packed with nutritional benefits, this veggie powered one dish wonder is a real crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 medium organic sweet onion
- 1 medium-large organic red pepper
- 2 small organic zucchini
- 1 tbsp organic olive oil
- 1/8 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 24 oz tomato spaghetti sauce
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly.In a small sauce pan, heat vegetable stock over medium heat, and when the liquid begins to just bubble, add the quinoa, stir once and cover. Boil for 3-4 minutes then turn heat down to low, keeping saucepan covered. Leave covered until most of the broth is absorbed into the quinoa, then turn off heat and leave covered.Chop onion, zucchini, and red bell pepper.In cast iron pan, gently heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add zucchini and red bell pepper. Sprinkle coarse black pepper, sea salt, garam masala, and dried oregano over veggies. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are gently carmelized and cooked through. Add tomato sauce to veggies and heat through. Remove lid from the quinoa pot and fluff the grain with a fork.Now build your bowls! Layer quinoa in the base of your bowl, and add desired amount of veggies and tomato sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe created by Ann C. Collins, MD, RYT
Photo Credit: Ann C. Collins, MD, RYT