Make your Taco Tuesday plant-strong! Delicious and nutritious take on this family favorite.
Fresh garden veggies combine with plantains, black beans, and whole grain tortillas to make a taco night to remember! Quick to prepare, heart-healthy and sure to please a crowd. Make it your own by adding your custom toppings and create a new tradition for your family taco night or your next gathering of friends.
Veggie Tacos (vegan)
- 2 cups organic zucchini diced
- 1 organic red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup organic cauliflower crumbled into small flourettes
- 1 large plantain peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced canned green chiles
- 8 tortillias I use sprouted whole wheat
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- coarse grain sea salt
- coarse ground black pepper
- 15 oz vegetarian refried black beans one can
- Wash and dice onion. Set aside. Wash zucchini and red bell pepper, and remove stem and seeds from pepper. Dice zucchini and the red bell pepper. Set aside. Rinse cauliflower. Cut into very small flourettes to make 1 cup (each piece < 1 cm). Peel plantain and slice into rounds (like you would slice for cereal). In a small sauce pan, place vegetarian refried beans with 1/4 cup water. Warm over low heat. While beans are cooking, prepare two cast iron skillets, and place 1 TBSP olive oil in each, warming over medium heat. In first skillet, add sliced plantain to the warmed olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook until carmelized/browned (about 2-3 minutes) then turn to brown the other side and repeat the cinnamon sprinkle. When carmelized on both sides, remove the plantain slices from skillet and set aside on a plate on the stove top to keep warm. (keep this skillet warm as you will use to cook your tortillas). Add 1 tsp olive oil to warm skillet and gently brown your tortillas, one at a time, flipping to warm both sides. As each one finishes, stack on a plate on the stove top to keep warm.In the second skillet, while the tortillas are cooking, add the chopped onions and garlic to the warmed olive oil and saute until onions are opaque (about 3 minutes). Add diced zucchini, red bell pepper, and cauliflower. Season with sea salt and coarse black pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until cooked through but still slightly firm. Add 2 tsp diced green chiles ( this will result in a mild flavor, if you desire more heat you can add more chile here or add chile as a topping to the assembled taco). Stir well and cook for another 3-4 minutes over medium heat.Assemble the tacos by adding spreading a large spoonful of refried beans to one half of a tortilla, add a large scoop of the cooked zucchini, red bell pepper, onion, cauliflower mix. Lay on 3 slices of plantain and then fold the tortilla over to create your taco!Awesome as is, or add your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!Makes 8 vegan vegetarian tacos.
Recipe developed by Ann C. Collins, MD, RYT
Photo credit: Ann C. Collins, MD, RYT